It’s here! The final week of the summer CSA. We hope you’ve had as good a time enjoying your veggies as we’ve had providing them for you! This farm wouldn’t be what it is without you all. Because of you, we’re able to provide healthy food to an incredibly diverse membership, provide a educational apprenticeships to up-and-coming new farmers, keep open space agriculturally and economically viable, and raise our family in a way that we’re hugely grateful for. We’re so appreciative of our CSA membership, and hope that you all know the important role you play in all of the above. Thank you.
Lots of important events and reminders this week:
- Make your reservation today! Thursday, November 1st, In Good Company in Rockland will be hosting a “Mighty Fine Meal.” The proceeds from this farm-to-table meal will go to the Hatchet Cove Farm Financial Aid Fund, as well as the Aldermere Farm Teen Ag Crew. In Good Company will not be open to the public or have the normal menu this evening, and the prix fixe meal is $50 pp (tax and gratuity not included). We’re grateful to Melody Wolfertz of In Good Company and Cheryl Denz of Terra Optima Farm for making this happen, and we hope to see many of you there! Call In Good Company at 593-9110 to make a reservation.
- The annual end-of-season CSA survey is now available (link through your email version of this letter) . Please take a few minutes to fill it out…your response will impact our planning over this winter.
- Space is still available in the fall CSA.
- You’ll receive scheduling updates via email, but as of now the garlic planting/cider pressing/csa potluck party is planned for Sunday, October 28th, at noon.
- Garlic is still available for seed or storage: 10 bulbs for $15. Kale, Chard and Collards are also available for bulk purchase (blanche and freeze for winter!), 10 bunches are $20. Many of the items that we offered last year for bulk purchase (carrots, potatoes, onions, shallots) will probably not be available this year. After we get through the fall CSA we’ll be sure to let you know, though, if there are extras for bulk purchase.
- Chicken CSA members: There has been another unfortunate chicken complication! Terra Optima Farm is not able to have your chickens ready this week. Don’t fear, though, you WILL still get your chicken. If you are a fall CSA member, you will receive your chicken the second week of the fall CSA (as soon as they are butchered). If you are not a fall CSA member, your chicken will be delivered to your home the same week (or you can choose to pick it up at the Terra Optima store at the intersection of Route 131 and Route One in Thomaston). We’ll check in with to see what you prefer We’re sorry for the mix-up, and appreciate your patience.
- If you’re going to miss receiving Terra Optima meats after the CSA is over, check out the Terra Optima/Oyster River Farm Store in Thomaston (we call it The Pink House, at the intersection of Rte 131 and Rte One). From fresh sausage to homemade chicken pot pies to a wide range of baked goods and meats, we love what Cheryl creates there.
Again, thank you for all you’ve done to make Hatchet Cove Farm a vibrant part of the community. We couldn’t do it without you. If we don’t see you during the fall CSA, have a wonderful winter and we’ll be in touch in late winter when planning for the 2013 season will be well underway!
Be well, and eat well!
Reba, Bill, Eli and Cecilia. Alex, Tiff, Faith and Mara. Mica, Boston, Fluffy, DB, Fifi, Elton, the chickens, ducks, pigs and cats… all of us, human and otherwise, at HCF.
Veggies Week 18 of 18: Garlic, Red Onion, Collards, Savoy Cabbage, Beets, Mesclun Mix, Red and Green Peppers, Jalapeno Pepper, Potatoes
This week is a Beef, Pork and Egg Week. It should also be a Chicken week, see above letter for further explanation.