Big bunch rainbow chard, stalks only, leaves reserved for another use
⅔ cup Parmigiano Reggiano, freshly grated
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the chard stalks into pieces about 4 inches long, and wash them in cold water.
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil, drop in the stalks, and cook at a moderate boil until they are tender, about 10–15 minutes, depending upon the maturity of the stalks. Drain and set aside.
- Smear the bottom and sides of a baking dish with butter. Place a layer of chard stalks on the bottom, trimming to fit if necessary to make a single layer. Sprinkle lightly with salt and with grated cheese, and dot sparingly with butter. Repeat the procedure, building up layers of stalks, until you have used them all. Sprinkle the top layer generously with Parmesan and dot thickly with butter.
- Bake on the uppermost rack of the preheated oven until the cheese melts and forms a light, golden crust on top, about 15 to 18 minutes. Let settle a few minutes before serving.
– adapted from Marcella Hazan