So much to tell you about this week that it’s going into bullets!
- The five-week flower CSA starts next week! If you pick up at UUR (Sundays) or PBMC (Tuesdays) you can still sign up for this five-week experience. Farmer and flower arranger Arla Casselman works with flowers that she grows, forages, or sources locally. She features rare and over-looked varieties, unique historical heirlooms, native Maine perennials, and annuals. The flower share will cost $67 for a weekly mason jar arrangement of seasonal, beautiful flowers. Sign up through Friday either via your account on our website, or by sending me an email (email@example.com).
- The annual all-hands-on-deck garlic harvest day will take place during the week of July 27th, depending on weather. There’s a job for everyone — pulling garlic, grading bulbs into sizes, tying together garlic bunches, and hanging garlic up to cure. It’s usually a hot, fun, festive day, and there’s nothing quite so satisfying as being a part of a big farm undertaking like this. Even if you’re only able to drop by for an hour, we’ll find a job for you. As we decide what date will work best we’ll keep you posted via email and Facebook.
- Free PYO sugar snap peas will be available through the weekend (and through the start of the week, though the quality will decline with each day). Park in the “lot” at the head of the driveway and walk down the driveway, past the house, and take a left past the corn, right before the kale field. Walk a couple hundred yards along the kale field, past the potato plants, and you’ll see rows of peas. Pick to your heart’s content!
- Our friends at Red House Farm in Waldoboro are again offering 10 lb boxes of certified organic fresh blueberries to our members. The cost is $38 per box, and I will send out an email this week with a link to sign up. We have limited quantities available to us (the berries of Red House Farm are in high demand!) and we know that there is likely to be disappointment when not everyone can get a box. I’m looking into other options and will pass along all the info I have in an email later this week.
- Don’t forget that this is a chicken CSA week! If you do not pick your chicken up at the CSA delivery we will put it in a freezer at the farm, so please contact me to make arrangements to pick it up.
Please let me know if you have any questions about the above. Enjoy your just-pulled new garlic (peel the cloves and chop it up to use like any garlic bulb. It will be crunchier and stronger than your average dried garlic clove). To store your beets and greens for more than a day, cut the beets off of the greens, and store them both in bags in the fridge.
Have a great week!
Reba and the HCF crew Summer CSA Week 6 of 16: Beets with Greens, New Garlic, Mesclun Mix, Kale, Zucchini and/or Zephyr Summer Squash, [Green Cabbage or Sugar Snap Peas or Carrots]
Summer Week Six Add-ons: Chicken, Mushrooms, Cheese, Milk, Oil & Vinegar