We’re getting ready for a big week! Our crew is shrinking again — goodbye to Christine, our wonderful German volunteer — and we’re prepping for the Wednesday (August 6th) huge garlic harvest. We will welcome any and all help that day. You can pull garlic from the field (a tangled forest of garlic stalks and weeds), you can sort garlic according to size, you can bunch and tie garlic in groups of ten, you can hang garlic to cure in the barn… so many jobs! If you can commit to coming to the farm for two-three hours or more at any point in the day, we’ll send you home with an armful of garlic for your efforts! Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested.
Another piece of big news is that the annual organic wild blueberry delivery from Red House Farm will take place throughout the week of August 11th. Red House Farm is a MOFGA-certified organic blueberry farm in Waldoboro. They grow, rake and process super clean, delicious and high quality berries. If you’re interested in purchasing a ten pound box of berries, read the following carefully!
- An apology in advance: I doubt that all CSA members who wants berries will be able to get them. I’m so sorry for this, but the Red House berries are in high demand, and their daily harvest is limited by their family’s ability to rake and winnow. We get as many boxes as we can for our members, though, and hope that not too many of you will miss out!
- If you want berries (and are a CSA member!), go to the following sign up spreadsheet: www.tinyurl.com/2013blueberries.
- On the spreadsheet, choose the date and location that you want to pick up your box and type in your name (pick-up dates: Sunday, August 11th; Monday, August 12th; Thursday, August 15th; Thursday, August 22nd).
- If you are unable to access the sign-up spreadsheet, email me with the date you want to pick up a box (see above). I’ll let you know if there is still space available or I will put you on the waitlist.
- If there are no spaces available when you get to the spreadsheet, sign up in the Waitlist column. Or, if you want additional boxes, sign up on the waitlist with the number of boxes you want. I’ll do my best to get berries to everyone if more become available!
- The cost is $36 per ten pound box, and the limit is one box to every CSA family who signs up. Please bring payment to the berry pick-up (cash or checks made out to HCF).
Let me know if you have any questions or have any trouble signing up.
Thanks, have a great week, enjoy your veggies, and hope to see some of you on Wednesday!
Reba and the HCF crew
Week 8 of 18: Eggplant, Cucumbers, Zucchini and/or Zephyr Summer Squash, Garlic, Basil, Pepper, Onion, Kale
This week’s cheese notes
This is a chicken and egg week!