It’s finally time! Member sign-up for the 2017 Hatchet Cove Farm CSA is underway!
We’re really excited for the coming season. Despite the snow on the ground we’ll be starting onion and shallot seedlings in the greenhouse soon. This year two of our apprentices will come to Maine from their current farm school in Hawaii, and we’re looking forward to teaching our puppy, Maple, how to be a good farm dog. We have a few new vegetables, lots of new varieties, and some potentially significant new field techniques that we’re excited to experiment with this coming season.
- We’re offering a Spring Greens CSA again! Bill’s knee surgery went well enough last fall that this spring we’ll hit the ground running (or, more accurately, walking quickly, with a limp). Four weeks of fresh salad greens, crunchy radishes and green onions, just at the point in the year when we can’t bear to wait for just-picked garden goodness any longer!
- If you sign up for all three vegetable CSA seasons (Spring-Summer-Fall) not only will you enjoy Hatchet Cove Farm veggies for more than six months, but you’ll get $20 off at check-out!
- As a fan of anything creamy and delicious, I’m happy to announce our newest every-other-week add-on share: organic whole milk cream-top yogurt from The Milkhouse Farm and Dairy in Monmouth. The Milkhouse yogurt is scrumptious, and we’re able to offer it at a great price to our members. The Milkhouse will also be supplying the organic eggs for our members this year, but quantities of eggs are limited so sign up early!
- We love Brazen Baking’s dense, nutritious and delicious bread, and are happy to be able to expand the bread CSA to the Sunday and Tuesday pick-ups in 2017. Brazen uses Maine-grown whole grains to provide balanced energy and amazing taste via culturing, fermenting, scalding, soaking, and sprouting.
- In the past we’ve quickly sold out of Honey CSA shares, but this year we have a new beekeeper, Ronnie Dennison of Port Clyde. He has ample hives for our members and there’s no limit on the honey shares this year!
- Many other add-on CSA shares will still be available in 2017: milk, cheese, mushrooms, tofu, chicken, oil & vinegar, as well as the above-mentioned honey, yogurt and bread.
Bill Pluecker & Reba Richardson
1133 Finntown Rd
Warren, ME 04864