This is a great use for leftover mashed potatoes… I don’t know if you want to use your precious new potatoes for it, but it sure would be tasty.
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup chopped scallions, white parts and about 2 inches of the pale green parts
1 1/2 cups cold mashed potatoes
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. When the foam subsides, add the scallions; sauté until tender, 3 to 5 minutes
2. Beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Add the sautéed scallions, mashed potatoes, bread crumbs, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Stir until well combined.
3. Place a baking pan in the oven and preheat the oven to 250’ F.
4. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium –high heat. Shape the scallion and potato mixture into manageable patties. Sauté the patties in the skillet, turning them once, until they are golden brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked patties to the baking pan in the oven to keep them warm while you sauté the next batch. Serve warm.
– Farmer John’s Cookbook: The Real Dirt on Vegetables