This recipe is from former CSA member (and fennel lover) Ida Berg.
1 fennel bulb
3 to 4 cups dried penne pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
3-4 cups of tomato sauce
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano
4 oz. crumbled blue cheese
salt & pepper to taste
1. Cut the fennel bulb in half. Cut away the hard core and root and slice into very thin strips.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the pasta and cook until just tender, 10-12 minutes. Drain and return to the pot.
3. While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the fennel and shallot and cook for 2-3 minutes over high heat, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the pasta sauce and oregano to the fennel and shallots. Cover the pan and simmer gently for 10-12 minutes, or until the fennel is tender. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce mixture into the cooked pasta and toss well. Serve with bits of blue cheese crumbled over the top.
– from http://www.allrecipes.com