Spicy big mustard greens become milder when simmered in coconut milk!
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 medium onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1-1/2 cups coconut milk
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
3 cups peeled and cubed sweet potato
4 cups mustard greens
Salt to taste
Fresh lemon or lime juice to taste
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and mustard seeds and sauté for another 2 minutes
2. Add coconut milk, coriander, cayenne, cinnamon stock, and sweet potato to onion mixture. Cook, covered, over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until sweet potato begins to soften.
3. While the sweet potato is cooking, chop the greens into bite-size pieces
4. Stir in mustard greens and simmer, covered, over medium-low heat for approximately 15 minutes. The greens should be tender and sweet potatoes soft. Adjust salt level; remove cinnamon stick.
5. Just before serving, squeeze in lime juice or serve with lemon or lime wedges. Serve over rice.
– Greens Glorious Greens! Johnna Albi and Catherine Walthers